M.P.A. (Master in Public Administration) 2007
Kennedy School of Government
Harvard University, Cambridge, MA
Ph.D. Finance & Economics 1992
Northern Illinois University, De Kalb, IL
(Major Field: Finance)
M.A. Economics 1985
University of Toledo, OH
B.A. Economics 1983
Loyola University, Chennai, India
Financial Risk Manager (FRM) Certification, Global Association of Risk Professionals (GARP), November 2003
ACADEMIC & RESEARCH INTERESTS
Financial Risk Management, Derivatives, Portfolio Management, Economic & Financial Policy.
SIGNIFICANT TEACHING AWARDS
• Harvard University, Kennedy School of Government Dean’s Teaching Excellence Award, June 2007
• Governor of Missouri Award for Teaching Excellence, Dec.2003
ROCKHURST UNIVERSITY, KANSAS CITY, MO 1992-Present
• Assistant Professor: 1992-1996; Associate Professor: 1996-2002
• Professor of Finance: 2002-Present
• Teaching (Graduate): Corporate Finance, Financial Markets, International Finance, Risk Management & Derivatives Markets
• Teaching (Undergraduate): Corporate Finance, Financial Markets
HARVARD UNIVERSITY, CAMBRIDGE, M.A.
VISITING PROFESSOR: Summer 2008-2010
TEACHING FELLOW: 2006
• Taught a Quantitative Methods course in the Kennedy School Public Policy program. The course introduces graduate students to mathematical economics, econometrics, game theory and decision science.
• Taught a section of the API 141 (Finance) course in the Kennedy School Public Policy Program. This is the most heavily enrolled graduate course in the program and enrolls about 130 students.
VISITING PROFESSOR OF FINANCE, BEIJING UNIVERSITY, CHINA 2005-2006
• Taught the Finance module in the Beijing International MBA program.
CONSULTANT, WORLD BANK, WASHINGTON, D.C. 1993-
• Worked with the Latin American Operations Division on analyzing hedging strategies for the management of oil price risk in Ecuador. An amended version of the project report was published in the Journal of Emerging Market Finance, titled “Risk Return Trade-Offs from Hedging Oil Price Risk in Ecuador”, April 2005.
• Worked with the Commodity Policy & Analysis Unit on analyzing the effect of commodity price uncertainty on developing countries. An amended version of the project report was published in the Journal of Policy Modeling titled “Money, Real Output and Deficit Effects of Coffee Booms in Colombia”, Dec.2003.
• Assisted in developing a commodity price forecasting model used by the Commodity Markets Division in its periodic commodity price projections. An amended version of the project report titled “Modeling International Commodity Price Indices” was published in the Journal of Business and Society , 2003.
• Worked with Goldman Sachs to analyze the portfolio implications of investing in structured products such as commodity indexed bonds and international equities. Developed a portfolio model for the International Trade Division that analyzed optimal asset allocation among equities from developed and emerg¬ing stock markets. An amended version of the resulting project report titled “Diversification Benefits of Commodity Assets in Global Portfolios” was published in the Journal of Investing, Spring 1996.
• Worked with the International Trade Division to develop a hedging framework for managing the commodity price risk of develop¬ing coun¬tries. An amended version of the project report titled “Hedging Cotton Price Risk in Francophone African Countries” was published in the International Review of Economics and Business, March 1995.
CONSULTANT, UNITED NATIONS DEVELOPMENT PROGRAM (UNDP) 1999
• Worked with UNDP, World Trade Organization (WTO) and the Bahrain Ministry of Foreign Trade to write the project report “Globalization of Bahrain’s Trade”. The project was part of a larger UNDP Technical Assistance Program - “Support to the Arab States in their Pursuit of Economic and Social Reform and Multilateral Economic Cooperation”.
• Designed project strategy, objectives, inputs, outputs, success criteria, implementation strategy, work plan and budgeting for the project.
BAHRAIN STOCK EXCHANGE
BAHRAIN MONETARY AGENCY
BAHRAIN INSTITUTE OF BANKING & FINNACE
KUWAIT INVESTMENT AUTHORITY, MINISTRY OF FINANCE
KUWAIT STOCK EXCHANGE
EMIRATES INSTITUTE OF BANKING & FINANCE, U.A.E.
• Provided consulting services and specialized training programs in Bahrain, Kuwait, And United Arab Emirates (U.A.E.) in the areas of Risk Management, Value at Risk (VAR), Credit Derivatives, Portfolio Modeling, Treasury/FX Management
• Among the organizations for whom I provided consulting services were: Bahrain Monetary Agency, Bahrain Stock Exchange, Kuwait Investment Authority, Kuwait Ministry of Finance, Kuwait Stock Exchange, National Bank of Abu Dhabi, Islamic Development Bank of Saudi Arabia, Citibank, and numerous commercial banks.
CONSULTANT, AQUILA ENERGY, Kansas City, MO 2002
• Worked with the weather derivatives group to develop pricing, hedging and Value at Risk (VAR) structures for weather derivatives, exotic options, forwards and swaps.
• Worked on enhancing portfolio optimization procedures by applying Monte Carlo and bootstrapping techniques. Developed valuation tools based on stochastic dominance and portfolio optimization.
• Black Swans, Grey Swans & Risk Management, Journal of Risk Management in Financial Institutions, January 2010, Vol.3, No.3.
• Strategic Net Present Value, Real Options and Game Theory, International Journal of Business, Marketing and Decision Sciences, Vol.2, No.1, Winter 2009.
• The Implosion of the ALT-A Mortgage Backed Securities (MBS) Market, Journal of Risk Management in Financial Institutions, Vol. 2, Issue 2, 214-225, Feb. 2009
• Project NPV, Positive Externalities and Social Cost Benefit Analysis – The Kansas City Light Rail Project, Journal of Public Transportation, Vol.11, No.4, 2008.
• Price Controls, Trade Protectionism and Political Business Cycles in the U.S. Steel Industry, (with M. Tansey & M. Stellern), Journal of Policy Modeling, Dec. 2005.
• Risk Return Trade-Offs from Hedging Oil Price Risk in Ecuador, Journal of Emerging Market Finance, Vol.4, No.1, Jan.- April 2005.
• Vector Error Correction Modeling and Generalized Impulse Response Function Analysis of Stock Prices and Macroeconomic Variables, (with B. Fitzpatrick), Southern Business and Economics Journal, Vol.27, Summer/Fall 2005.
• Money, Real Output and Deficit Effects of Coffee Booms in Colombia, (with A. Melo), Journal of Policy Modeling, Vol.25, No.3, Dec.2003
• Exports and Economic Growth in India, (with J. Kurien) Indian Journal of Business and Economics, Vol.4, No.1, June 2005.
• Using Monte Carlo Simulations to Value Path Dependent Exotic Options, Journal of Financial Education, Vol.30, Fall 2004.
• Modeling International Commodity Price Indices, Journal of Business and Society, Vol.16, No.1, 2003
• Domestic and Foreign Sales when Prices in Both Markets are Uncertain, (with A.Dalal), Bulletin of Economic Research, April 2003.
• Contagion, Systemic Risk & Financial Crises, Bahrain Compliance & AML Networking Professionals Meeting, Bahrain, June 9, 2010
• Manias, Panics & Systemic Risk, 3rd Annual Middle East Risk Management Forum for Financial Services, Bahrain, March 1, 2010
• Investment Policies Beyond the Crisis, MENA-OECD Conference, Jordan, Amman, Feb. 15-16, 2010
• Small & Medium Enterprises (SMEs) & the Financial Crisis, SME Seminar, Bahrain, Nov. 11, 2009
• Financial Contagion, Systemic Risk and the Credit Crisis, Professional Risk Managers International Association, (PRMIA), Bahrain, October 24, 2009
• Asset Backed Securities, Credit Risk Management Conference, Dubai, March 2006.
• First Order Hedges, Second Order Hedges and the Black-Scholes Partial Differential Equation, ABEAI Conference, Kauai, Hawaii, November 2005.
• Money, Real Output and Deficit Effects of Commodity Booms, MV Economics Association, St. Louis, Feb.2003
• Stock Prices and Macroeconomic Variables: Error Correction Modeling and Generalized Impulse Response Function Analysis, NBES Conference, Maui, Hawaii, March 2002
• Credit Derivatives: Can we Bank on Them?, Second International Banking Conference, Abu Dhabi, November 2001
• Hedging Oil Prices in Ecuador, (with E. Somensatto), American Economics Association Meetings, New Orleans, LA, January 1997
• Risk-Return Trade-Offs from Hedging Oil Price Risk in Ecuador, (with E. Somensatto), Cross Fertilization Seminar Series, Latin American & Caribbean Operations Division, World Bank, Washington, D.C., May 1997.
Journal Referee for:
Oxford Economic Papers
Journal of Applied Economics
Southwestern Journal of Economics and Business
• Harvard University, Harvard Kennedy School (HKS) Dean’s Teaching Excellence Award, June 2007
• Harvard University Fellowship, 2006-7
• Governor of Missouri Award for Teaching Excellence, Dec.2003
• Fulbright Award Grantee, August 2005
• Brenner Research Award, Rockhurst University, May 2000
• Title III Grant, Modeling Chaos & Complexity in Financial Markets, US Dept. of Education, 2002
• Title III Grant, Portfolio Modeling, US Dept. of Education, 2001
• Northern Illinois University Dissertation Award , Sept. 1990